Chief Financial Officer
NewHope Church is seeking their next Chief Financial Officer. The CFO reports to the Lead Pastor and provides a strategic role in the overall management of the church. The CFO is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing all financial-related activities of the church. This will include (but not be limited to) direct responsibility for banking activities, accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, purchasing, investments, and compliance.
At NewHope Church, we exist to REACH people with the hope of Jesus, TEACH them to follow God’s word, and RELEASE World Changers. Our next CFO will play a major role in helping to continue this vision forward into the future.
- Communicate, engage, and interact with the Executive Team.
- Align resources with church goals and priorities through budget development and management.
- Collaborate on operational and strategic issues; provide strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the finance team to ensure quality control, productivity, accuracy, efficiency, and team cohesiveness.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the church’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Recruit, interview, and hire finance and accounting staff as required.
- Review all current finance-related procedures, processes, and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing systems going forward.
- Implement financial policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by the Executive Team.
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials.
- Work with staff to develop and improve purchasing protocols.
- Prepare and communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for the Lead Pastor and Executive Team; present reports at Governance Board meetings and as requested by the Lead Pastor.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial and operational metrics.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Oversee preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and overhead cost allocation.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Monitor and reconcile AR and Expenditures; advise Executive Team of any recommended changes to financial projections.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Remain up-to-date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
- Oversee weekly cash management and AP Department, approve large payables, sign checks, authorize large wires and ACHs.
- Manage year-end reports, such as taxes, W-2, 1099/W-9, and contribution statements to members.
- Maintain and update as needed all Insurance and/or Liability Policies for the church under the direction of the Senior Pastor and The Governance Board.
- Prepare for scheduled audits and work with auditing agency as required.
- Serve as Signatory and as Church Representative in regards to all banking matters.
- Reconcile and manage all bank accounts, including company credit cards accounts.
- Manage financial processes by making sure internal controls are adequate & being followed. This includes helping teams stay within their budgets and helping them meet goals.
- Document Finance Procedures and maintain templates.
- Train finance department staff on relevant issues, procedures, software, regulations.
- Assist with HR support procedures, including employee onboarding/off-boarding, benefits and workers compensation, employee files, paid time-off, retirement, and background checks.
- Ensure that NewHope Church is both GAAP and GAAS Compliant.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- While preference will be given to candidates who possess a Master’s degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance, we will strongly consider candidates with a Bachelor’s degree and significant/relevant experience working in church finance.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience at an executive level in financial management, accounting, and operations development, with some experience ideally in the nonprofit sector.
- Proficiency and Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency and Expertise in QuickBooks.
- Experience in financial accounting software & church related software.
- Demonstrates a strong relationship with Jesus Christ and a faithful Christian walk, exhibited by a Christ-like, servant attitude.
- Ability to execute strategic operations.
- Devoted to the call of God and the vision of the church.
- Exhibits trust in the team and trustworthiness as a leader.
- Operates with a spirit of excellence.
- Passionately embrace the roles of coach and motivator at an executive level.
- Exhibits work that is organized and structured.
- Strong Christian character and competence. An understanding and appreciation of the importance of good stewardship and its related theology.
- A strong desire to continually grow and stay up-to-date on accounting rules/regulations, financial trends, systems, and processes, particularly in a church setting.
- Dependable to set and meet deadlines without exception.
- Alignment with NewHope’s statement of beliefs.
- Lead and oversee the Financial Administrator who will assist the CFO with all financial related matters for NewHope Church.
About NewHope Church:
NewHope Church is a significant regional church in the heart of the Carolinas. The church was founded in 2002 and has seen remarkable growth over the years. NewHope is well known for its relevant biblical teaching, upbeat and contemporary worship, missional outreach, life group gatherings in homes, excellent children’s programs, and high-impact student ministries. We have a dream, a vision, a calling to spread the gospel of Christ through our
contemporary church services.
Our prayer is that our community of faith be a beacon of love and HOPE for anyone who is seeking, looking for answers in this crazy world. We dream of a church with dedicated followers who are compelled to actively lead others on their journey to salvation. We want people to come expecting to encounter Christ, to build a relationship with Him, and to be engaged with others to build redemptive relationships. Our pastors and church staff are here to help disciple our NewHope family so that everyone can engage in serving with their God-given strengths and talents.
More than anything, NewHope church is what you would call, “A GOD THING!” In twenty years, NewHope has grown to a community of faith impacting across the Carolinas and beyond. No doubt, that really is the best way to describe what has happened! In eighteen years, this church has gone from a house church to a movement that is sweeping across the Research Triangle and beyond!
Only resumes accompanied with a Cover Letter will be considered. The cover letter should be personalized for this position and should answer five questions:
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What about you makes you stand out from other candidates for this position?
- Why would you feel comfortable relocating to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC area if applicable?
- How would stepping into this position serve your family well?
- What is your belief about financial stewardship as it pertains to the receiving, management, and allocation of financial resources in a local church?